Monday, June 9, 2008

Toddler bed update and other things

We moved Gus to his toddler bed a week ago. The first two nights were pretty hard, but I think that's mostly because Andy and I hadn't really formulated a plan. We kinda made things up as we went along, and it made for a couple of hard nights getting Gus to stay put in his bed.

But...the light at the end of the tunnel is that after a couple of nights we figured out what worked best for all of us. Initially we were staying in the room with Gus until he fell asleep, but we found that we were just distracting him (he's not used to having us in his room until he falls asleep, so of course he thought it was party time). So now we basically do what we were doing when he was in his crib. We read books, put him to bed and leave. He'll play a little with his books or toys and knock on the door, but usually within 15-30 minutes he will fall asleep on his bed. He's been doing really well and sleeping through the night (knock on wood). We are still figuring out nap time as he doesn't want to stay in his bed when it's light out. But we had success with him during yesterday's nap, so I'm optimistic it'll work out. In the meantime, our backup plan for nap time is his playpen/pack n' play. He sleeps well in that and can't move around the room.

The weekend flew by. Andy got home super late (actually early) from his business trip Friday night/Saturday morning b/c of flight delays. Saturday we just worked around the yard and whatnot. I paid a visit to Jessica and Nick and baby Logan. He's a snuggle bear and so cute. Andy did more yard work Sunday and hung out with Gus while Leah and I went to lunch and to see Sex and the City. It was fun to hang out and have some girlfriend time. Andy left super early this morning for another trip (3:45am!) only to have his flight cancelled. He came home from the airport this morning around 7:30am and plans to fly out tonight around 5:30pm...we'll see. I guess all the rain has really hurt some of the airlines, so I don't even know that he'll get out tonight.

Thursday we're going to Worlds of Fun as a family. Andy's company sponsors a WOF day every summer. It's fun, and Gus will love the baby rides this year.

Pregnancy is going well. I can't believe we're in the "final countdown" mode. I'm 32 going on 33 weeks and feeling very sluggish lately. I feel good otherwise, just really tired. I guess that comes with the 3rd trimester (and this hot, humid weather). But I have some time left, so I need to save my complaints for the last couple of weeks, especially if I'm overdue this time. I hope not! I have a sonogram next week so I'm anxious to see the babe again...make sure everything looks good. I'm so anxious to know the sex of the baby, but we've made it this far...we'll hold out for 8 more weeks. We have no idea what to paint the nursery...we were going to paint it a mocha brown, but now we're thinking of "stem green"--it's a nice spring green color, but not TOO bright. I think it'll work...hopefully!

Oh, funny Gus update. When I want to get Andy's attention (for dinner, or whatever), I tend to call him by saying, "Annndddddyyy"--b/c Andy is usually in another room. Well, Gus has started to do it, and it's hilarious. When I tell Gus it's dinner time, he will say, "Annnndddddyyyy!" to call Andy into the room. He does it quite often, actually, and it is one of the funniest things. I don't think he means to mock me, but it absolutely cracks me up b/c it sounds like he is mocking me. It's amazing. Oh, and he said "thank you" for the first time the other day. Now we need to get "please" down!

ek

1 comment:

Kelly said...

I'm glad Gus is doing so well with the bed. It's nice to have you and Cherie and my sister around, doing all this stuff before me, so I know what works with your kids! :)
I hope your last two months go well. It was soo hot and humid yesterday... I was thinking of you.