Thursday, January 8, 2009

That's what he said

I have to capture some funny things Gus is saying these days, so here goes:
  • If we ask him to do something that he agrees with he says, "Oh, okaaaayyy." It's funnier when you hear him say it in his little chipmunk voice.
  • If he thinks something is funny he says "That's too punnny" (funny) and if he thinks something is neat he'll say "That's too coooool."
  • He likes to point things out to Cleo quite often. He'll say things like, "Keee-o, look at my choo choo!" or "See, Keee-o?" She isn't always paying attention, but I'm sure a time will come when she will.
  • Right before Christmas Gus was taking his daily poop. He was using the wall as leverage for the deed (holding on to the wall while he pooped...hilarious) and Andy asked him if he wanted to go poop in the potty. To this Gus answered, "No! I want to go poop on the wall." Andy and I tried our best not to crumble in fits of laughter. I realize what he meant, but it came out sounding so gross. And someday he'll hate me for telling everyone about this.
  • We're slowly but surely trying to potty train Gus. We don't want to rush him, so we're taking it slow. Basically we ask him quite often if he wants to use the potty. He usually says, "Oh, okaaaaay" but then when he realizes he has to actually use the potty, he backs out. Now he knows that he'll get an M&M if he uses the potty, so we often here this: "Mommy (or Daddy), I want a piece of candy." To which we reply, "Well, if you use the potty, you can get a piece of candy." To which he replies, "No, I don't want to use the potty! NO!!!!!!! But I want a piece of candy!" It's fun.
  • The other day he was reading a Curious George book. There was a page where George was holding a bunch of balloons. He pointed to each balloon and said, "I want to be that balloon, that balloon, that balloon, that balloon and THAT balloon. Alright." Then he closed the book and moved on to the next thing.
  • He calls our cats by name now. Ruby is "Rudy," Charlie is "Karlie" and Funny Face is "Punny Pace." He often chases Funny Face around the house b/c she is the nice cat and will often put up with his overbearing affection (he literally lays on her sometimes b/c he's trying to hug her...we have to tell him to be gentle). Needless to say, Funny Face runs away from Gus because of this and I often hear Gus walking through the house calling, "Punny Pace, where are you? Punny Pace!!!!!!!!!!!!" He will stand by the stairs leading to our basement and shout down the stairs "Punny Pace!!!!!!" It cracks me up.
Cleo is such a mover and shaker these days. She rolls all over the place. The other day she literally rolled over like 3 times in a row, and basically rolled across the rug. I can tell she really wants to crawl, which scares me. She's cutting teeth, too. We're trying to break her of the swaddle at night b/c she's moving around so much. It's harder on us, I think, b/c I know we're going to have some rough nights ahead trying to break her of it. She loves the baby jumper and the Exersaucer right now. She also loves her Bumbo seat. We started feeding her baby food just this week and so far so good. She has tried peas, squash and peaches mixed with her rice cereal. I'm still nursing her but I've decided to stop pumping at work, so I'm sure my supply will dwindle soon. I will miss elements of nursing, I know. But she is so distracted these days and has a hard time focusing on the task at hand so it takes forever. :)

Andy's company just went through another round of layoffs. No fun. He still has a job, thank God. But his position has changed and he'll have new accounts, probably mostly on the West coast. We'll see how it goes. It's so scary these days. I am supposed to find out later this month or early next what my new position will be with the restructuring of the School of Fine Arts. Considering all the craziness going on right now I'm happy that I'll at least have a job after all this.

Oh! I almost forgot to mention that Tom and Marisa announced they are expecting baby #2 sometime in August. Yahoo!

3 comments:

Kelly said...

Good luck with you job Erin. It really is a scary time. I love your Gus stories. They are so funny. How old is Cleo now.. about 6 months? I love the rolling stage. What a funny way to get around?

EK said...

Cleo will be 6 months in exactly 2 weeks from today! I can't believe it.

Lindi Ben said...

I'm glad Andy still has a job. I wish he had East Coast accounts though. :)

I love how Gus pointed out each balloon and wanted to be each one. So cute.