Job update:
So we had a meeting with the KU Provost yesterday to find out where all the fine arts staff are being placed once the School of Fine Arts is no more (effective July 1).
Thankfully, I am going to have the same job in the reorganization, so I will be the Director of Communications for the new KU School of Music. I just keep my job but I get to focus on the new School of Music since the fine arts school will no longer exist. I get to keep my office and work with the same faculty and whatnot that I'm used to working with in music. I just won't work with the art and design folks anymore (art is moving into the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences and design into the School of Architecture and Urban Planning). I'm excited b/c now I can really focus my energies on one school--the music school--so my marketing plan can be much more strategic. Before this I always felt like my efforts were spread way too thin b/c of all the folks I had to work for and b/c of budgetary limitations. I'm excited for the opportunities this presents, and I'm excited for the music faculty and students b/c they've wanted a separate School of Music for over 30 years now. This will be a fun opportunity for fundraising and marketing, and these two things will go hand in hand.
Some folks were moved into different areas and they did not take this news well. The meeting yesterday was pretty dramatic, so it's been kinda testy here at work. But overall I'm happy with the results and I'm very thankful that the Provost's Office really kept their word and retained everyone's positions. In this market depression that means so much. I wish people would think of that more often/keep things in perspective.
Anyhoodle, just an update on my job. Lots of work to be done!
ek
3 comments:
That's awesome Erin! Congrats!
Whew. I was scared you were going to say you were close to being laid off. I guess that wouldn't make sense with the "I'm Still Standing" subject line though. Glad to hear it's a good move for you!
Yippee!! Glad you're happy about that. It sounds like a good move!
Post a Comment