Tuesday, July 7, 2009

4th of July in Colorado














We are back from Crested Butte, CO. We had a great time, and I already miss my little sis, Kerry.

It's a pretty small town (around 5,000 total including Crested Butte proper, Mount Crested Butte and Crested Butte South), but with all the folks there for the 4th activities, it was crowded and very busy. The 4th of July parade was awesome, and there were easily over 15,000-20,000 folks there. Everyone is so "granola" in CB... it was hilarious. And I thought Lawrence was hippy. Kerry knew people wherever we went. That little social butterfly. She seemed very at home. The weather was brilliant. It maybe reached 80 degrees during the day, and it usually rained for a bit off and on during the day and night, but then the sun would come out blazing. You are at such high altitude there that getting a tan was pretty easy! It didn't take much time.

We took a few hikes that were out-of-this-world awesome. We drove to this tiny little place called Gothic, just up the mountain from CB. It was gorgeous and so remote (only accessible 6 months out of the year b/c they don't service the roads during the winter). We shopped in the fun downtown area of Crested Butte, and our condo was in Mount Crested Butte, just about 10 minutes away from downtown, right on the mountain of Crested Butte. Kerry lived just down the road from us on the mountain. She lives with 3 or 4 other people in a condo. She is a nanny for a family who also lives in Mount Crested Butte. She said she either walks or rides her bike everywhere, or takes the bus.

We had fun with the rest of the family. My older sis, Shana, brought her kids and we all had a great time together. My Mom and Dad came, too. Gus had a blast w/ his cousins, Brody, Rory and Molly. The fireworks on the 4th were honestly the best I've ever seen...ever. They were short (about 12 minutes long) but truly amazing! It was the first time in 10 years they had been able to shoot fireworks in CB b/c it hasn't been wet enough in past years. They shot them off the top of the mountain, literally just up the mountain from our condo. We had the best seats on the balcony of our condo. It was so awesome!!! My 10-year old nephew, Brody, told Andy that the vacation was the second best thing that has happened to him (1st best thing was getting their kittens). I loved that.

Here are some photos and videos from the trip. The second video is of Kerry by a waterfall. Oh, and I forgot to mention we saw a bear! We were hanging in our condo and my Dad spotted a black bear walking down the mountain. It was pretty awesome. I tried to get a photo, but it didn't turn out.

Hope everyone had an awesome holiday.


3 comments:

Kelly said...

Wow! It sounds like you guys had a great trip. We just got to Denver tonight and I had to put Solomon to bed. I love your pictures and I love the thing your nephew told Andy about it being the 2nd best thing to ever happen to him. how cool for him. Glad you guys had a good time.

Lindi Ben said...

It's beauuuuuuutiful!!! Wow. If it looks that gorgeous on camera, it must have been amazing. Great pics.

Kelly said...

These pictures are cute, but I'm needing a new post... or should I start calling you "Cherie"?