

It's been a trying week. Work is out of control crazy and things are slipping through the cracks and hitting the fan, so it's been stressful. Andy was out of town all week, but thankfully he's back home. Today we figured out that Charlie has been depositing blood from his tooshie (sorry) on the carpet downstairs behind our desk. I have no idea what's up with him, so to the vet we go...again. We just spent a huge amount of money on Ruby recently only to figure out he's just fine. But that's how it is with pets. And that's okay.
But when I get down about work or bloody cats or something like that, I remember that bigger things could be happening. One of Andy's co-workers is going through a terrible time right now as her daughter battles cancer, and another friend's brother was killed in a very tragic accident recently. So, when the stuff hits the fan for us, I say a prayer and give my kids a kiss, b/c life is sweet but sometimes way too short. And it could be so much worse.
We're gearing up for our Michigan vacation, and even though I can't imagine getting done all that I need to for work before we leave, I'm so ready to go. We're driving and we'll stay over in Iowa City at Andy's parents on our way up, so we can break up the drive. We'll be in Ludington for a week, and we're staying in a cabin. I'm excited to have some R&R with the kids and Andy's family. I love it up there, and hopefully the weather up there is pretty nice...in the 70's and maybe 80's. Not as humid.
The kids are changing so much every day. Gus' new favorite things in the world right now would be Dora and Boots (from Dora the Explorer...or as Andy likes to call it: "Dorah the Explorah"). Gus adores anything Dora right now. Loves her show and would watch it 24/7 if we allowed him to...and he's even created little imaginary Dora and Boots friends he keeps in his pockets. They even get to sleep over with him at night. I'm serious...we're dealing w/ our first imaginary friends! It's adorable, really. He picks them up and carries them with him everywhere. When we leave the house, he'll say, "Oh, Mom! I have to get Dora and Boots!" and at night he says "Mom, Dora and Boots can sleep with me!" Pretty funny stuff. As long as he's not doing this when he's 15, it's all good.
Cleo is walking! She takes about 5-10 steps at a time before she goes back to crawling, but she's doing more every day. She loves her new freedom. I call her my little Houdini b/c she likes to break out of any straps we put her in (car seat, high chair, etc...). She loves the challenge of breaking out of any constraints, including clothes. She has figured out how to take off her pants, and I often find her in just a diaper and t-shirt, smiling at me as if to say, "See? I did it! Ha ha hahaha!" She's ornery, this one. I have to keep my eye on her. She says new words like "Momma" (yes!) "Dadda" "Kitty" and "Baby" and sometimes I think she even says "Pretty"--oh, and she pants like a dog when she sees dogs. Gus used to do that, too. So funny. Last wknd we reconfigured Cleo's room. We got rid of her changing table and move stuff around to accomodate shelves and a toy box. It's so nice not to shove toys and stuffed animals in her closet now. Of course she still prefers to play in Gus' room, though. But her room is so cozy that I'm proud we were able to utilize vertical space to our advantage. HGTV, eat your heart out.
Let's see...the GREAT NEWS that came out of this week is that our friends Tom and Marisa had their 2nd bundle of joy, a boy! So now they have Ebina, who is almost 2, and Abel Thomas Hegeman, who was born early Wednesday morning. He is absolutely gorgeous...full head of dark hair (Ebi had the same) and looks like a mini Tom Hegeman! Everyone calls Tom "Old Man Hegs" so we were joking that now there's a junior "Old Man Hegs." Marisa was worried b/c she had to be induced with Ebi b/c she was so overdue, and it looked as if the same was going to happen with Abel. He was over a week overdue when she finally went into labor. She had him in around 2 hours total--the labor was that short! I am so happy it was short for her.
Until later...take care. Oh, and the new poem is one I wrote when I was a child. I remember being SO PROUD of it. I wrote it on yellow lined paper and my mom posted it on the fridge where it stayed for a very long time. So deep, right?!
Oh, and Gus starts preschool Monday! Woot! So excited for him.



1 comment:
Don't you hate those huge popsicles kids insist on having? They're so cute, but then they're huge and a mess. But oh so fun...You're so right about putting things into perspective. I have to remind myself all the time...Carina and Izzy love Dora too. I'm not a big fan because of that annoying voice she has! I always think of the SNL short cartoon they did of her when the long pauses waiting for a child's response was always after some adult-type question like "Do YOU think we should chase the terrorists?....[long pause]". ...Congrats on the new walker in the house! So cute. Glad you posted the pics.
Post a Comment