Friday, August 14, 2009

Gus is 3! And other updates

Gus celebrated his 3rd birthday the first weekend of August. We took him to Vinland Valley Nursery where he had a little party. The nursery is technically in Baldwin City, but it's really in the country b/t Lawrence and Baldwin. It's beautiful out there. We had a great time, and for once the weather was pleasant. We're so used to the scorching heat on his birthday. On his actual bday (August 6), I took the day off and we went downtown to the Toy Store to pick out his gift. He picked out a toy Mack truck, and he loves it, needless to say. Between the Mack truck, the matchbox cars and carrying case and all the other fun toys, he's in heaven. Oh, and he's still our healthy boy. In the 75% and 76% for weight and height. He's 39" tall and weighs 34.5 lbs.

Andy and I went on a sales incentive trip to St. Pete, FL, with some of his co-workers last week. It was so nice to get away, and the resort was great. I met some of Andy's co-workers and their spouses, so it was fun to meet new folks. I've posted some photos of the trip. I didn't take too many b/c I didn't want the camera to get wet. We essentially just laid on the beach or by the pool for 3 days straight! It was heaven, but we really missed the kids. My Mom watched them until Sunday and then Annie came for the last night. I think overall they did really well.

Let's see...work is insane right now. I'm trying to keep my wits about me, but it's hard. It'll calm down, but there are so many new things going on, and I've taken on a lot of extra work. We're going on vacation to Michigan the week of Labor Day, so I'm already excited for that. It'll be a long drive, but thankfully we'll stop over in Iowa City so we can break it up. We've rented a cabin in Ludington, so that should be fun. We usually stay at Andy's parents house in Ludington, but with 2 kids, we need a little more space, so we'll see how this cabin works out. Michigan should be a nice break from the hot sizzling weather here. It's usually in the 70's there in September during the day, which is so nice.

Gus talks to people on the phone now and has conversations, vs. just saying one or two words. It's funny. And he's really into things and their mothers b/c of a book we've been reading by Eric Carle (Kangaroos have mothers, too!). He asks where the cats' mothers are. He even gave Funny Face one of his toys the other day and told her it was b/c she didn't have a mother anymore, so she could have one of his toys. Delicious! Gus starts preschool on August 31. I can't believe it! He's in the "Under the Sea" room with his daycare friend, Elizabeth. I don't really know what all the rooms mean, but I know the "Under the Sea" room has fish tanks and whatnot, so he'll be thrilled. He goes for 2.5 hours every M, W and F. We'll go with him on the first day. I think I may get emotional. I mean, it's not like he's in Kindergarten yet, but I feel like it's just around the corner. Crazy.
This isn't my best photo...but it's hilarious how white Cleo is next to me right now.

Cleo is a little spark plug. She's so fast and into everything these days! She's not walking yet, but she pushes her little walker everywhere. She moves all over the place, and tries to break out of her high chair, her car seat and the grocery cart at the store. Gus never did any of this, so we joke that we'll have to carry duct tape with us to keep her in one place. She's usually still pretty mellow, but she's very stubborn, too! I really see so much of us both in her personality. She and Gus are so tight. They wrestle together, snuggle together, play together all the time. It's so fun to see them actually interact for real now. Gus told me the other day Cleo was his best friend. Oh, and Cleo says the following words right now: "Kitty" and "Daddy" and "Meemaw" (that's me) and "Pretty" (that one cracks me up...she already knows she's pretty! ha ha).

That's it for now! Hope you all are having a great summer. It's winding down...can't wait for fall! My favorite season! I'm already excited for Halloween. Yes, I'm dorky like that.

2 comments:

Lindi Ben said...

That is so cute about Gus finding mother's for everything!! hee-hee! Wow, he's 3. Your trip sounds sooo nice! I love the pic w/ your legs pointing like an arrow to the scenary. It's like a Corona commercial. As you can imagine, the first day of dropping a kid off at daycare can be kind of hard, but if you get to stay w/ him longer (the whole time?), then that's an easier transition. Have fun w/ that!

Kelly said...

It looks like your trip was awesome and the kids are so sweet and cute. I can't wait to see them again sometime soon. We might go to the KU vs. Duke game in September in Lawrence. Do you and Andy want to go too? If not, let's get together for sure.