Monday, January 4, 2010

It's a new year






Welcome to 2010, everyone! Hope you all had a great holiday. We certainly did, hanging with family in KS and Iowa. Gus and Cleo got to see cousins on my side and also hang with their cousin, Eli, on Andy's side (that's Eli in the photos above with Gus). We watched slide shows from the 70's and 80's at Andy's family's house and drank much spiked cider. It was a great time. And it snowed and snowed and snowed. Cozy and fun.

New Year's resolutions:

1. Consume organic and local meat products only. I have Food Inc. to thank for this transformation. I've been working on Andy for awhile now but it took this movie for him to agree with me and want to make the change. We're excited. We're also going to look into switching to organic milk. We aren't going 100% organic and local, b/c unfortunately we just cannot afford it. But we can afford to switch certain things out. And I'm also going to take advantage of our local Farmer's Market in the summer and fall for produce and I'm going to expand our own veggie garden next summer.

2. I'm going to train to run a 10k and try to run one by fall. I've worked up to running 3-4 miles without stopping, so I know I can do it. Just takes time and patience. And I'd like to run more consistently in the new year...3 or 4x a week, if I can. It's hard with little ones and a traveling husband.

3. Work on patience. Work on (not) cursing when I lose my patience. Even under my breath. It's amazing what Gus hears and repeats these days.

4. Really, really, for real, I'm serious, try to learn how to sew this year. How many years have I made this darn resolution?

5. And compliment people more. Tell people nice things more often. If I think something nice about someone, tell them. It's amazing what positive feedback or a compliment can do for your day.

And although I realize death is a part of life, let's hope for less death in 2010. A handful of close friends lost loved ones in 2009, most of the losses just tragic and unexpected. So although we know nothing lasts forever, let's wish for less pain and more life and good health in 2010.

Over and out.

2 comments:

Kelly said...

Great pictures Erin! Good luck on the resolutions.

Lindi Ben said...

I like your resolutions, Erin. We don't buy all organic either, but at least when you do spend the extra money on the organic meat, you can really taste the difference. It's not like buying recycled paper and you don't really see or feel the difference. I know what you mean about patience for sure! And cussing...let's just say for the first time last week I saw Carina drop something and bust out with a "F'n A", except she actually said it! When I explained how she canNOT say that, her response was, "Well, you say it." D'OH!!!