Wednesday, July 23, 2008

I'm no longer outnumbered!

UPDATE: Photos are now updated on flickr.
We had our baby, Cleo Anne Dierks, on Tuesday at 12:47 p.m. She is fabulous and lovely and delicious and perfect. I am just so happy she's here and she's healthy. And I'm no longer outnumbered at our house, a point that Andy pointed out when she was born. Not that being outnumbered by my two #1 guys is a bad thing, but it'll be nice to have a little lady in the house.

The name...Cleo is a family name on Andy's side. He had a Great Aunt Cleo and Great Uncle Wes. They couldn't have children so they were the awesome aunt and uncle who pampered their nieces and whatnot. We always loved the name and especially loved that it was a family name, so that's where Cleo came from. Anne is a family name on my side. My Great-Grandma on my mom's side was Sarah Anna and my mom and older sister both share the middle name, Anne, after her. So I wanted to pass Anne on to Cleo. That's the name game! Short birth story (the long one I'll give in person to anyone who might be interested...but I'll save the major details!): We had been tracking Cleo's (Fozzy at the time) weight throughout the pregnancy. As posted here, I even noted that she was tracking smaller than Gus had ever tracked, but we weren't concerned about it until last week when on our sono showed she had dropped from the 25% of weight class to lower than the 10%. I guess docs get concerned when babies in utero either go above the 90% or below the 10%, so there we were. Basically Miss Thang was gaining weight but just not as much as she should've been. They estimated on the sono late last week that she weighed 5 lbs. 9 oz. After consulting with 3 different docs in the hospital and getting the same recommendation, we opted to induce labor Monday night and deliver Cleo about a 1.5 weeks early, just in case something was wacky in utero (we had many tests run on my placenta and the u. cord and all that, and everything looked ok, but she still wasn't gaining as much weight as she should have been). So I received the pitocin Tuesday morning around 7:30 a.m., they broke my water around 9:30 a.m. and I had Cleo by 12:47 p.m. All in all, it was extremely painful but really short, so I cannot complain (Gus' labor in all was over 12 hours long). And she ended up weighing exactly one pound more than they predicted, so that was a great relief. So far she looks perfectly healthy, receiving high marks on every test. So we're happy that it seems everything has worked out. All that weekend worrying for nothing, but still, we're glad we have her out here with us intead of worrying about her in utero. They are doing an analysis on my placenta just to make sure they didn't miss some issue with it. I guess we'll see!

That's the (short!) story. We are so happy and excited and tired. Gus doesn't know what to think of her. He's already a little possessive of me (when I nurse Cleo he wants to sit on my lap and gets kinda frustrated), but otherwise he's great. I can't believe my baby is a big brother. And we're having a ball with girl clothes. There are some cute things out there for little ladies to wear! And I can definitely put Gus' leg warmers to great use, now... hee hee.
More later with photos. Thanks for all your thoughts and prayers. Here we go!

ek

4 comments:

Kelly said...

Yea!! Girl power! Congrats again!! I'm so excited for you. What a relief after all of that! I can't wait to see pictures... Where are the pictures? I keep checking your flicker account. HOw about sending one just to me!!? :)

Lindi Ben said...

Yipppeeeee!!!!! I'm so happy things all worked out!

Cherie Che-Rai said...

Whoo hooo! Congrats to your growing family! So glad everything worked out and everyone is healthy!Can't wait to see the pics! What are you guys doing, I mean, I know you have ALL the time in the world! LOL

Lindi Ben said...

God, she is SO F'N CUTE. Just have to say that again. I checked out all the Flicker pics.