Thursday, August 7, 2008

One day at a time!

Things overall are going well. Andy and I are taking things one day at a time...trying to manage with a new baby and a toddler. It's so hard! I knew it would be...but I guess I didn't really know how hard it would be. But at the end of the day (cheese alert!), I am so thankful to have two healthy, seemingly happy kiddos, so it's all worth it. And we know that it will all get easier as time goes on. We're still just trying to figure out how to eat dinner together every night! It's hilarious...it's such a cluster trying to stay on a schedule with a baby who eats all the time and a toddler who is in bed by 8pm. But we're doing it.


Cleo update!

Cleo turned 2 weeks old Tuesday. Even though it's only 2 weeks, I can't believe how fast it's gone by. She is a darling. She was sleeping like a champ for the first couple of days, but now that she's awake a bit more during the day and knows there are things going on around her, she cries a bit more when we leave her sight. But overall, she's a really good little baby so far. We have her sleeping in our room in a basinette (or sometimes in bed with us, when I'm too tired to care), which is way better than what we went through with Gus. He was in his crib from day one, and he hated it until he was about 2 months old. I was such a zombie with Gus, getting about 1/2 hour of sleep every night. We plan to move Cleo to her crib at about 2 months, but for now, our room is working out. We have somewhat of a pattern established, but each night is a little different. Basically Andy and I are wiped at 9pm or 9:30pm, so I feed her and we all crash for a bit. She's waking me about every 2-3 hours to eat, so I usually feed her at least 2-3 times a night right now, which means I'm tired but at least I'm getting small chunks of sleep. And Andy lets me sleep in with her while he gets Gus up and ready for the day, which definitely has helped. And with Gus at daycare 3 days a week, I can nap with Cleo during the day, which I definitely have been taking advantage of. I cannot wait until she's sleeping for longer periods at night, though. I hate being tired...it's the worst. So far nursing is going well, but I'm always paranoid that it's not b/c of my experience with Gus. I don't know what she weighs right now, and I'm tempted to take her into the lactation ladies for a weight check (even though I hate going in there). I think she's a little over 7 lbs. right now, though. She's still little, but she's gaining. She weighed 6 lbs. 3 oz. when we left the hospital, so she's put on about a pound since then. I can't wait until she is out of the newborn clothes and into the 0-3 months clothes! I don't think Gus ever fit into the newborn stuff...
I jumped the gun...

I made the huge mistake of going to Old Navy today to try on non-maternity clothes. It was just depressing, b/c I have some weight left to lose before fitting into anything attractive! And Cleo had a total meltdown in Old Navy b/c she was both hungry and tired, so that sucked for me. I'm not going to try that again for awhile...

Gus update!

Gus turned 2 yesterday! We had some folks over Saturday to celebrate, and Gus had a blast opening gifts. We opened the rest of his gifts last night, and he now tells people he's "2" when they ask him how old he is. He also says "Bye-bye Keee-o" to Cleo when I drop him off at daycare. It's cute. And he's still blowing her air kisses and giving her hugs. He's pretty affectionate towards her, which is super cute. I can't believe Gus is 2...I'm still in shock he's growing up so fast. I realize now how fast Cleo is going to grow up b/c I've seen it with Gus. I feel like he was her age just a bit ago.

Well, that's it for now. More later!

2 comments:

Cherie Che-Rai said...

Hi Erin,

It sounds like you're doing a GREAT job! It IS an adjustment! Kudos to you for having Gus and Cleo home by yourself 2 days a week. I pretty much sent Eli to daycare every day, and it was still hard! Try to rest while you can and DO NOT try on any non-maternity clothes yet!

-C

Lindi Ben said...

I keep forgetting Gus wasn't even 2 when you had Cleo. You DO have it rough, but you're right, it does get easier. It's kind of a long haul at first, but man, when Cleo's just a year old you'll look back at these pics when she's so tiny and think how much you love this time (did I just say that? I'm usually complaining.)