Sunday, January 25, 2009

The Prestige vs. The Illusionist

So we were talking to our friend, Locke, about how much we liked the movie The Illusionist. We love getting recommendations from Locke b/c he is an online movie reviewer for Red Box. Locke said he liked it but highly suggested we watch The Prestige b/c he favored it over The Illusionist (they are both movies about 19th-century magicians). So, we watched The Prestige last night, and the verdict is in. I LOVED IT SO MUCH. So good. It stars Christian Bale (love him) and Hugh Jackman. Andy loved it, too, but, he thinks The Illusionist just barely beats out The Prestige. I disagree...loved both movies, but I think The Prestige wins. Andy wants me to add that the reason he prefers The Illusionist is that it's purely fiction, whereas The Prestige is more science fiction/fantasy. I don't want to give away any of the plot, so that's all I'll say about that.

Any thoughts? Any of you seen one or both? For the record I didn't think I'd like either movie (19th century magicians? Sounded like snoozers to me...and I was scared b/c The Illusionist had Jessica Biel in it b/c I really don't consider her much of an actress, but she wasn't bad), but they were both very good, and the plot twists were fabulous. And, I don't mean to toot my own horn (toot toot!), but I did figure out both plot twists at the very end. I made Andy pause The Prestige while I shouted out the ending...he was amazed at my genius. :) I don't think the movie was predictable at all, though. In fact, it took us a few twists and turns to figure it out.

Quick kids update: Gus is still talking up a storm, and our new favorite phrase is: "Oh my gosh!!!" He just started saying that yesterday and it's really funny. Miss Cleo jumped from 14 lbs. 3 oz. to 15 1/2 lbs. in just 2 weeks! That's what happens when she gets over the flu and starts eating like a champ. She has her 6-month appt. in a week or so, and she's getting over an ear infection now. We all have colds (except Andy, of course!), but nothing too bad.

Our camera is dead on batteries, so no photos as of late.

More later...

3 comments:

Lindi Ben said...

ooo, I'm going to put the Prestige on my Netflix list. We need more to add anyway. I haven't seen either one you mentioned. Thanks!

Kelly said...

Haven't seen either, but I'll add them to Netflix as well. We just watched Burn After Reading today. Okay, but not as good as I was hoping, in my opinion. We're catching up on 24 right now from two weeks ago. Thank God for the DVR. We had another insane weekend with the bar, so TV has been on hold. I don't want to work this week at all.

Cherie Che-Rai said...

I really enjoyed the Illusionist. I'm going to have to put the Prestige on my list. Thanks for th review!