I've always loved poetry. I used to receive books of poetry from my Mom for my birthday. Since college I've fallen out of touch with my love of poetry, but thanks to a friend and fellow KU colleague, I've rediscovered my interest in this art. This friend starting posting a poem a day during April (National Poetry Month) on Facebook, and he has continued to do this even through May. This "poem share" is such a wonderful idea, and he has a knack for picking out gorgeous, simple, sometimes terribly sad and always vivid poetry.
So, what does this mean for my blog? I've decided to dedicate a section of my blog to a "Poems I Love" feature which I'll update from time to time (on the right panel of my blog). I hope you enjoy reading these as much as I do.
I've also decided to create poetry journals for my children. I'm going to record my favorite poems for them to keep once they leave the roost. I hope Gus and Cleo like poetry or at least respect it as much as I do. I will admit that some poetry intimidates me, but one of my favorite things to do is to read it over and over and try to really see what the poet is trying to communicate. I love studying the poem. I took a poetry class at KU my freshman year and still remember the hours spent just studying a short poem, trying to decipher its meaning.
This new poem I've featured is in Spanish, but it's translated for those of us who aren't fluent. I knew I liked this poem after reading the first line. I hope you all enjoy this new blog feature.
4 comments:
I didn't know you were into poetry, Erin! I'll def. be checkign out what poems you post. I like your first choice but I'm looking forward to reading it over, like you said, to let it sink in. Reading poetry relaxes me so much, like meditation for some. I like your new blog addition!
That's something I didn't really know about you Erin! Cool. I'll check them out.
Girl, you are so deep. I think that's wonderful to keep a poetry journal for the kids. One of Oliver's bday gifts was "Where The Sidewalk Ends". He has us read them over and over and then over again to him. A few of his favorites (Captain Hook and Ickle Me, Pickle Me, Tickle Me Too) he has almost memorized and we catch him "reading" them by himself. The parts he can't remember he just makes up which is the best of all.
You know how much I love poetry, especially Langston Hughes (just can't go wrong with him)and Robert Frost. Anyway, check out Jimmy Santiago Baca's "I am offering this poem". You have to know he wrote it while in prison. I have others I will share off and on too.
Post a Comment