Friday, March 14, 2008

GO KU!

TGIF and GO KU! We play tonight at 6pm CST, so I'm psyched. I don't have my KU outfit on, per say, but I bleed crimson and blue, so I'm good. I may try to fit into my KU shirt, although it's way too tight at this point!

Gus just went down for his nap around 1:30 p.m. That's pretty late for him, but as long as he doesn't skip his nap, I'm ok with it. Hopefully he'll get a good 1.5-2 hours in. We're going over to Jim and Hannah's tonight for a bbq/game watching party, so I hope he's rested.

Last night was insane, and by insane, I mean somewhat hellish. We met all our friends at India Palace downtown for dinner b/c our friends Kim and Chris were back in town from Texas for a visit. I love the food at India Palace (tried a new shrimp curry dish last night and it was amazing), but the service was AWFUL. And I'm not hard to please, really. I'll put up with a lot before I get really mad. But it all started when the server came into our room after we had been waiting for an eternity (we had a large table in a room in the back) and asked us to take our own orders b/c he was just too busy. WTF? So we did, and we all had a good laugh at first. We did it in a very organized manner, but no matter, because the server totally 'effed up our orders anyway. After we all switched our meals so we had the right thing, we dug in, but poor Andy (who had starved himself all day so he could pig out) didn't have his lamb curry yet. They finally brought it and he ate it so fast I thought he was going to throw up. I had to end up boxing my entire meal up b/c by the time all the food actually came, Gus was so tired and cranky he was throwing a fit (along with the other very tired kids there: Ash and Ollie). Gus had taken a really early nap at daycare that day (10:30-12:30) so he was so exhausted. Plus, we didn't meet for dinner until 7pm so the kids were already a bit tired. While Andy ate I walked Gus around the block outside the restaurant. A few drunks came out of the Replay Lounge and Gus pointed at them and started talking loudly (his own language) and I told him "We don't point at nice, drunk men." The men just stared at us and thankfully didn't hear what I had said. They were stumbling around--it was pretty clear they were tanked. Good ol' Replay Lounge! :) We were the last folks with kid to leave India Palace, and it couldn't have happened sooner. It was insane...I wish I had taken some video of it b/c it was just total chaos at one point (kids screaming and throwing fits, everyone switching plates of food, the waiter totally avoiding us, Mo asking as nicely as possible for our last 2 orders of nan, etc...). Amazing! But the SILVER LINING of the evening was when Chris and Kim told us they are expecting their first baby! I could not be more excited than I am for them. They have been trying to get pregnant for awhile now, so it's awesome that it is going to happen. They are going to be awesome parentals. I just wish they'd move back to Lawrence from Dallas...that's our next wish! They are due Sept. 18.

This morning I was changing my shirt and Gus came in the room and just stared and pointed at my protruding belly. I explained to him that his baby sister or brother was growing in my belly, but he just continued to look really confused (all the while he's still pointing). He then said, "Ball?" while pointing to my belly. Ha! He thinks everything shaped like a circle is a ball, so my belly qualifies. I explained again but he just smiled and ran out of the room. So, when people ask me if Gus understands that he's having a little sis or bro, that's my answer. He thinks I have a ball in my belly! So, no, he doesn't understand. At all. :)

Gus and I ran to Target and then my dad paid us a surprise visit (he works in Lawrence often on Fridays). We hung out for awhile before he had to head back to work. He's seriously considering retiring in a couple of months. I secretly hope he does b/c I just love hanging with my dad and he would be more available. But if I know my dad, he'll always have a billion projects going on, so it'll be like he's working. But he's been at Stevenson Sheet and Metal Company since he was 17 or 18, and he's going on 58, so it's been a long time! My mom will teach for a few more years, though. She wants to retire with my dad, but she didn't start teaching until I was a freshman in high school, so she wants to get a few more years in.

The baby is swimming in utero a bunch. I've been kinda bonding more with it lately. I think it just feels so real lately and it's easier to imagine it as a little baby. Every time I see a little baby I turn to mush, so I think I'm ready for #2. I say that now...wait until my first night of no sleep! I'm worried about that more than anything else...the no sleep factor. I am a nasty person on no sleep (I'm convinced nastier than most...ask my darling husband). I hope this one sleeps a bit better than Gus did for the first month or two. Gus turned into a great sleeper, but those first 2 months were torture. So, we'll see. We're trying to put some new things in place for #2 that might help (bassinette in our room when necessary, more comfortable nursing/rocking chair for me so I can actually fall asleep in it if necessary, etc...). I do think #2 will be a bit easier in that I won't be so paranoid and scared of doing something wrong. I feel pretty confident now as a parent, so I think that will make it better all around.

By the way, Gus loves Yo Gabba Gabba, this brilliant tv show for kids. It's on at 10:30am weekdays and we sometimes catch it, but when we don't, we watch clips on Youtube. Check out this older clip, it's probably our favorite!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=R9PqjMSNfkU

Now I'm just waiting on pins & needles to hear the baby arrival news from Megan & Blake, Cherie & Aaron and Molly & Dan! So exciting.

ek

No comments: