Friday, October 24, 2008

Autumn Sweater

So we all have colds. I'm not sure who had the first cold, but it doesn't matter b/c now we all have them. Thankfully the kids aren't too affected. Gus just really has a runny nose that I have to wipe every two seconds, and Cleo has been coughing and has a bit of a runny nose, as well. I think Andy and I got the worst of it...we've been pretty sick the past couple of days. I had to leave work early yesterday b/c I literally couldn't keep my head off my desk. I've been taking Tylenol Cold and Sinus b/c it's a safe medication while I'm nursing, and it's helping. I think the worst of it is lifting for us, though, so that's good. I guess it's to be expected with the cold, rainy weather we've had.

Speaking of the weather, I LOVE fall. So much. So, so much. I've been drinking hot apple cider and chai tea and enjoying the beautiful trees here in Lawrence. It's supposed to stay chilly and rainy, so that's awesome. Such great cardigan weather. And such great Halloween weather. I heard the Yo La Tengo song "Autumn Sweater" the other day on KJHK and it just made my day. Such an appropriate song for the season.

I'm working from home today. Currently Cleo is sleeping and Gus is watching his new Yo Gabba Gabba DVD. He LOVES it. He asks me to put it on all the time, so that is fun. I also love Yo Gabba Gabba. I could watch it by myself for hours! It's so kooky. I'm trying to move Cleo to her crib for naps. Slowly but surely, anyway. Usually I just put her on her playmat or in her little baby seat to nap (or in our bed...she loves napping in our bed), but I'm trying to slowly move her in the direction of napping in her bed. She sleeps great in the crib at night, so it shouldn't be an issue. But she seems to wake up pretty quickly when she's napping there, for some reason. So far she's been in there for about 20 minutes, so that's good!

The kids are great. Cleo is just a doll and her little thighs are chubbing up and I love it. She has blocked tear ducts and we've gone to the doc a couple of time for it, but the eye drops they gave us aren't doing much. I guess we cannot really "fix" it until she's at least 6 months old, b/c most pediatric eye docs don't see babes until they are at least that old. It doesn't affect her sight or anything, but she's constantly "crying" from her eyes and she has the most gigantic eye boogers in the morning. Gus didn't have blocked tear ducts, so this is a new one for us.

Gus is hilarious...and so great. I really enjoy just hanging out with him. He's really speaking in full sentences these days, which is so fun. Here are some fun things he's been saying:
  • (at breakfast): "Mom, I want chicken nuggets" or "Momma, I want hot dogs"
  • (from the moment he wakes up): "Momma, I want to go in the car...the GRAY car" (he prefers the Camry to the Buick these days)
  • "Momma, I wanna pay now..." (he means "I want to play")
  • "Hello, everybodeeeeee!" (that's from one of his Sesame Street toys, and he says it quite often)
  • "Momma, I wanna go on a walk"
  • "Momma, I want candeeeeee" (he's discovered candy, which scares me...oh, and cookies, too)

You may have noticed a pattern...he starts most things off with "Momma" and it's so funny. He always pauses after saying, "Momma..." for the full effect. It cracks me up.

No photos to post this week. I'll post some after Halloween. Gus is probably going to be a spider and Cleo will either be a bear or a pumpkin.

Until later...

3 comments:

Lindi Ben said...

Erin, our latest posts are very related. I talk about Yo Gabba Gabba and how 2 year old language is funnier than 3 year old language. I can also talk about blocked tear ducts, so let me do so here. :)

First of all, ditto on the You Gabba Gabba. Izzy ADORES it and I like it too. Also, Izzy still has one blocked tear duct which she's had since birth. She's 15 months, so it's pretty annoying. At first, it was nasty like you described: goobery, wet, teary. Sometimes the goobers are wet and other times hard and crusty - which makes them really hard to get off. All this means she kind of always looks dirty if I don't make a huge effort to clean her well. And cute baby-face pics are always a bit tainted. I exaggerate now, though, because it's gotten so much better. It acts up if she's sick though. It's like a mood eye; I can predict a cold by the goobers in her right eye. I told myself a long time ago if it wasn't better by her next checkup, I'd take her into the eye surgeon to open the duct up. But since that requires anesthesia and she HAS been improving, I've opted out every time. Don't you hate keeping up w/ the cleaning of it?

EK said...

It's so good to know someone who has the same tear duct issues. Both of her ducts are blocked, and it's just not improving. It's not the end of the world, but it's annoying, and I feel bad for her. She always has crusty eyes or tears running down her cheek. I so don't want to resort to surgery, but I guess we will if we have to...we'll see at her 6 month mark! But yes, we are always cleaning out her eyes...all day long.

Kelly said...

Hi Erin, I'm glad to hear that Cleo is doing well despite the eye boogs. That would be really annoying. HOw long are you going to nurse? I'm glad it's working for you so well this time.