Monday, November 19, 2007

Gas leak anyone?

So last night I swear I smelled gas in our kitchen. Andy said he smelled "something weird" but he couldn't tell if it was gas. We have an antique Chambers stove (gas), so it freaked me out that we had a possible gas leak. Let's just say that going to bed last night was interesting. I think I went in the kitchen at least 5 times to check for strange smells. Andy slept like a champ; I tossed and turned all night. What can I say...I'm a bit of a worry wart.

So this morning Andy came in the bathroom while I was getting ready and asked me to smell the kitchen. I did and all I smelled was the coffee brewing (the best smell in the world, I think). But once it stopped brewing we BOTH smelled gas. So we called the gas folks and the woman on the phone was very dramatic (I know she's trained to be that way) and told us to immediately go outside and don't stop go and don't collect $200. We didn't do that. The gas dude showed up about 15 minutes later and took apart our old stove, checked everything he could and said there wasn't a gas leak. Our stove is so old (1920's) that the pilot light was dirty and was letting off a foul gassy smell. So we need to clean the pilot lights or this smell is going to continue. Good thing we don't have a gas leak. That would've sucked big time.

So, now we're considering selling this antique stove and getting a nice, brand new stove. We're not sure yet, and if we even do it, it won't be for awhile. I really love old stuff that still works--the aesthetic value is priceless. But now that I have a kid, practicality rules and I think a brand new stove would just be easier to deal with. And, Gus won't be able to mess with the handles on the stove (this old stove wasn't designed with little toddlers in mind).

That's my story. Fun Monday morning so far!

Oh, Gus update! He is really into handing us books to read to him. And what's even better: he likes to then position himself in our laps so he can read along with us (in his own little language, of course) and turn pages. We need to record his "language" b/c it is hilarious. It would be a nice keepsake to have recordings of all our kids when they spoke their own fun gibberish.

ek

ek

2 comments:

Kelly said...

that's so scary. I'm glad it was just the stove. We need a new stove too that doesn't include broken knobs and burners that only work on high.

Lindi Ben said...

Oh man, a gas leak would have freaked me out! Isn't it a bummer to have to choose practicality and safety over coolness? :) DO get some video of the language! I love it!