Friday, November 9, 2007

TGIF

It's Friday. I'm working from home today, which I LOVE. Still in my pjs, but I'll get dressed soon. I mean, I have to run out and get my mom a birthday gift today and I probably shouldn't wear my yoga pants and oversized t-shirt (that's actually Andy's) for the trip. Might not be the most appropriate outfit for Borders...maybe for Walmart? Ouch. Anyway, Gus is running around with a runny nose. Gross. Gotta run and wipe that...okay, I'm back. I hate snot more than poop. I swear, it's true. And he has had this runny nose for awhile now. I wish it would pass. It has also caused a "contact rash" on his face from all the rubbing and wiping and whatnot that goes on with a runny nose and drooling mouth (he's also teething again big time). I've taken him to the doc 2 x now thinking he had some type of allergy on his face, but it's this stupid "contact rash" that comes and goes. I guess my son has sensitive skin. Maybe all kids do at this age? What do I know. I'm new to this!

Anyway, back to Friday. I love Fridays. Now that I work from home (1/2 days) on Tuesdays and Fridays, I love those days so much. But Friday is the best, b/c, well, it's the day before the weekend. I wake up with Andy but there's not that rush that I feel on my days in the office. I can very slowly get around with August. It's great. I hope my schedule never changes. I'm getting a new boss next school year, so I'm a little worried about that, but we'll see!

Okay, so last night's 30 Rock was amazing. I couldn't stop laughing. Truly. And Andy was on the phone with his mom during the show and kept asking me to turn the tv down. I was so frustrated b/c it was probably the funniest episode I had seen of 30 Rock. So, when he got off the phone we enjoyed the last bit together. Oh, lordy, I love that show so much. Every character gives me this huge rush of joy. And the flashbacks to Kenneth's party were truly hilarious. Pure comedy. And I know I shouldn't have a crush on Alec Baldwin, especially after he yelled at his daughter last year (and was recorded...yikes), but he is just dreamy and one of the funniest and best actors out there. I heart him. And The Office was pretty killer last night, too, especially when Creed told Jim that he wanted his own peach pie for his birthday celebration. Creed is my hero.

I felt bad watching tv last night, though, b/c for the first time Gus stopped playing and watched with us. Andy said, "uh, he's actually just staring at the tv with us..." and I nodded my head slowly in sadness. Sadness b/c this means we really shouldn't have him downstairs with us while watching tv if he's just going to watch with us, unless we're watching Sesame Street or something (which we did for the 1st time last week...what is it about Elmo? he's a drug, i tell you! Gus LOVES him). Anyway, now I will feel too guilty if Gus watches primetime tv with us. Typically he's just played and played and played while we (try) to watch tv (although we're running after him the whole time, really). Now we'll have to figure something else out. I don't want a zombie baby or to be one of "those parents." But we've really cut down on our tv-time, anyway. I used to be such a tv addict and now my must-see shows are really just on Thursday night (and sometimes Wednesdays b/c of America's Next Top Model...but I watch that alone). Otherwise, we are Netflix addicts, and we typically watch those movies after the little man hits the sack. So, we'll have to figure something out so Gus isn't watching with us. I've read recently that's it's not good to have them around with the tv on, period, b/c it's almost worse to have the tv on in the background while they play than to have them actually watching it. I guess it affects their sleep, ect...but honestly, as hard as we try to be really good parentals, we're not going to be so organic that we never watch tv around our kids. I grew up with a tv on in my house (at night, and my mom did regulate sometimes), and I'm fine. I'm not a couch potato...or is it potatoe? hee hee.

Okay, enough from me. Til next time...

ek

1 comment:

Cherie Che-Rai said...

Hi Erin,
I know how you feel about the TV thing. Eli just gets sucked in and literally stands right in front of the TV! We try not to have the TV on, b/c Aaron read this article re: TV watching and autism, who knows if it's true, but he loves his books now, and always grabs them now. I love that he loves books! I still need to watch 30 Rock, saw parts of it. You and Tina Fey (Sp?) are very similar! LOL! We need to get Gus and Eli together. His mannerisms are so similar to Eli's!
Enjoy your Friday! It's hard for me to focus!
Cherie