Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Book recommendation

I am just full of posts today!

I forgot to post this earlier. I loved to read books before having Gus, but since having him it has been hard for me to finish a book. I love my magazines (especially the New Yorker and Smithsonian), but lately it has been hard for me to find a good book I can stick with. But I found one, per the recommendation of Andy, my darling bookworm (I mean that very affectionately, by the way. He is a reader, that guy!) Actually, I read a short story by this author in the New Yorker and loved it, and Andy then told me we had a book of that same author in our library. He knows what is in our library...I obviously do not! Anyway, I read it and it was one of those books I tried to savor because it went too fast. It is Interpreter of Maladies by Jhumpa Lahiri. Here's a quick review from Powell's.com:

Publisher Comments: Winner of the Pulitzer Prize.

Navigating between the Indian traditions they've inherited and the baffling new world, the characters in Jhumpa Lahiri's elegant, touching stories seek love beyond the barriers of cultures and generations. In "A Temporary Matter," published in The New Yorker, a young Indian-American couple faces the heartbreak of a stillborn birth, while their Boston neighborhood copes with a nightly blackout. In the title story, an interpreter guides an American family through the India of their ancestors and hears an astonishing confession.

Lahiri writes with deft cultural insight reminiscent of Anita Desai and a nuanced depth that recalls Mavis Gallant.

I will warn you: the first story is by far the saddest story I have ever read. Ever. After I read it, I sobbed (Gus was napping) and I called Andy and I said, "Ok, I love this book, but that story knocked me out." He said it was the saddest story he had ever read, too. And if you are expecting a child or have a child, I personally think it makes it even worse. But it is a great story, and the rest of the stories are amazing, as well. Just amazing. I loved this book. It is one of my favorites now.

That is all!

ek

No comments: